Cacoo's simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to start creating and sharing diagrams right out of the gate. But some people like having a little more guidance, so we put together this guide to help you start using Cacoo like a pro.
If you're on the Plus plan, make sure to read the Individuals section. If you're on our Team plan, read both!
In this section, you'll learn about:
- Creating diagrams using templates and shapes
- Sharing diagrams with collaborators
- Organizing diagrams with folders so that you can keep track of your work
- Collaborating on diagrams simultaneously with multiple users
When you log in to Cacoo, the first thing you see is your Dashboard. Here, you can view your existing diagrams, templates, and folders. You can also create new ones.
To create a new diagram, click the 'Create Diagram' button in the upper-left-hand corner.
Creating a new diagram from the Dashboard
That button will bring you to the Editor where a dialogue will present our template options.
You can select a template or select 'Blank' to start from scratch.
Selecting a template in the Editor
Next, it's time to start customizing. You can do this using a few different tools.
1. Main Menu. You can add new shapes, text, lines, and tables using the Main Menu on the left-hand-side. You can also import images or select new templates.
2. Toolbar. On the top is every option available for changing a selected element of your diagram. e.g. Select a shape, and it will make the icons for things like fill and border clickable.
3. Sheets. On the right-hand-side, you'll find all of your sheets. You can add, delete, title, and rearrange them.
4. Viewing options. On the bottom, you can edit the size and zoom level of your diagram.
Using the Editor to create a diagram
Your work will auto-save as you go, so whenever you're ready, you can use the Export and Share buttons at the bottom of your Main Menu to select how you would like to share your work.
Note: Free plan users will experience limited exporting and sharing options compared to Plus and Team users, including the following limitations:
- Diagrams can only be exported as PNG files,
- A diagram can only be shared with 15 people, and
- A Folder can only be shared with three people, even if they're not Cacoo users.
With our Plus and Team plans, you gain access to all exporting options and unlimited sharing.
For more info on sharing, you can visit our sharing support page.
Folders make it easy to share diagrams with the people you want to see them. Whenever you add a diagram to a folder, all members can see, edit, and comment on your diagram.
But remember: if your diagram is not in a folder, others cannot see it until you share it with them.
Viewing Folders on the Dashboard
When you share a diagram or a folder:
- You and others can edit your diagrams simultaneously.
- You can track changes made by yourself and others with the History feature Tracking changes in History
- You and your collaborators can leave Comments directly on your diagram. Viewing comments on a diagram
Note: The History feature is not available to free users.
In this section, you'll learn about:
- Understanding your spaces and how they relate to one another
- Switching between spaces such as your Personal space and Organizations
- Managing folders, so your team can find the diagrams relevant to them
- Inviting and managing users to your Organization
When working with a Team plan, your relation to your Organization is as follows:
- Account: First, there's your individual Cacoo account that gives you access to the cloud-based software. You control all settings and access to this account.
- Organization: Next, there are the Organizations with which you belong to. You may belong to one or many (e.g. when working with multiple clients.) This is controlled by your company's Cacoo Administrator.
- Folders: You have your own folders in your Personal space — as discussed in the Individuals section — and then there are the folders created and managed by each Organization.
- Diagrams: Finally, there are the diagrams, created by you and others, that live within these various Folders.
To navigate between your Personal space and an Organization's space, click the profile photo on your Global Bar and select a space.
Using the Global Bar to navigate between spaces
Note: When creating a new diagram, pay close attention to whether you're creating it within your Personal space or one of your Organization's spaces. Otherwise, your team may not find it.
For more information about switching between Personal and Organization, you can read our support document here.
Folders keep teams organized. They make it easy to collaborate and protect your diagrams from unwanted eyes.
Only Project Administrators can create Folders, invite users, and restrict access to Folders. So if you're a Project Administrator, you'll need to learn the ins and outs of creating and managing Folder settings.
If you're a lower level user, you'll have much less to worry about. Just make sure you have an Administrator grant you access to all the Folders you need.
Only members of an Organization can view the Organization's space. And all members are controlled by the Organizations Administrator.
Only Organization Administrators can invite and revoke user's access, assign roles, and create/manage groups. If you are your Organization's Administrator, you'll need to familiarize yourself with managing members, roles, and groups.
Once members have joined your Organization, you can also sort them into Groups, making it easier to invite, change access settings, or revoke access to multiple users without having to do it on an individual level.
Getting in touch
Now that you know the basics, visit our Support page and bookmark it for any technical help you may need in the future. And remember you can always contact us if you have any questions; we're here to help.
For our Team users, we also offer free one-on-one walkthroughs of Cacoo. If you'd like to request a walkthrough, contact us here.